“Before Abraham Was, I AM” (John 8:58)
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
Summary of parts of John 8:49-58:
1. Jesus honors His Father (v.49).
2. Jesus does not seek His own glory (v. 50).
3. The only true God, the Father, seeks Jesus’ glory (v. 50).
4. God judges (v. 50).
5. If anyone keeps Jesus’ word, he will never see death (v. 51).
6. If Jesus honors Himself, His honor is nothing (v. 54).
7. The Father honors Jesus (v. 54).
8. Jesus knows the Father (v. 55).
9. Jesus knows Him and keeps His word (v. 55).
10. Abraham rejoiced to see Jesus’ day (v. 56).
11. Abraham saw it and was glad (v. 56).
12. Jesus said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM” (v. 58).
Then the Jews answered and said to Him, “Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?”
49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. 50 And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges. 51 Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.”
52 Then the Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.’ 53 Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?”
54 Jesus answered, “If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God. 55 Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.”
57 Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?”
58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM” (John 8:49-58).
Translations of John 8:50:
Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge (John 8:50, numerous translations).